Increasingly it is very common for individuals to change their jobs and even their career paths many times during their working life. This, coupled with the trend towards flatter structures in organisations means that experience and sometimes key skills are no longer available as middle managers leave, or are removed from their companies.
This combination of reduced employee loyalty, high turnover and smaller pools of expertise means that organisations need to act proactively about how they are going to manage their business in the future and fill specific, often senior level posts.
Succession Planning is the name given to this very important aspect of HR Strategy, which in turn helps to drive and deliver the overall business strategy. Identifying, developing and nurturing talent is becoming a business-critical objective.
In general, robust Succession Planning should:
- Be treated as one of the organisation’s key priorities, especially by the senior team
- Identify very clearly, the organisation’s unique and specific information (for example, critical posts, key skills and competencies, timeframes)
- Be aligned with the overall long-term business strategy (which determines direction, but not necessarily future HR needs)
- Articulate specifically those skills and competencies required for success in the key roles identified (determined more effectively through internal consultation, such as focus groups)
- Assess existing skills and competencies to determine current adequacy and anticipated gaps moving forward (Development Centres, for example)
- Identify a plan for short, medium and long-term actions
- Develop and support the resulting “talent pool” (such as development plans, 360 Degree Feedback, work assignments, Coaching and Mentoring)
- Be open and transparent so that aspiring staff know what successful, senior managers need in order to further their careers
- Deliver the right people into positions as they arise
Why Choose Benson Payne?
Benson Payne will work with you to develop a programme for Succession Planning that demonstrates these characteristics and which:
- Will maintain your organisational culture, support its Vision and further embed its Values
- Is practical, straightforward, usable and relevant
- Provides an auditable talent pool
- Informs your Recruitment and Selection processes
- Is supported by development processes
To gain more information or discuss how our SUCCESSION PLANNING approach can help your organisation to succeed, contact us